Servings: Bulk portion | Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 1 hour 40 mins | Total: 1 hour 55 mins
A recipe for a bulk portion of eggplant dip that should be kept in the fridge and removed before serving. Serve with Naan bread, corn chips or crackers.
- 3 heads of garlic
- 3 eggplants, sliced in half vertically
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh juice from 3 lemons
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 175C. Cut 3 squares of aluminium foil slightly larger than the garlic heads. Cut the papery top off each head of garlic to reveal the cloves inside and place each head on a piece of foil.
- Drizzle each head of garlic with 1 tbsp of olive oil, then wrap the foil around to form packets, put on baking paper and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool, then remove the cloves from their skins and discard the skins.
- Turn the oven up to 220C. Line a baking dish with baking paper, then aluminium foil. Brush 2 tbs olive oil on the cut sides of eggplants and place cut side down on the foil and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from the oven and let cool, then scrape the flesh from them and place in a food processor, discarding the skin. Add garlic cloves, remaining olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garam masala. Process for 1 minute on medium setting. Store in the refrigerator and serve when cold.