Servings: Bulk portion | Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 1 hour 40 mins | Total: 1 hour 55 mins
A recipe for a bulk portion of eggplant dip that should be kept in the fridge and removed before serving. Serve with Naan bread, corn chips or crackers.
- 3 heads of garlic
- 3 eggplants, sliced in half vertically
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh juice from 3 lemons
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Cut 3 squares of aluminium foil slightly larger than the garlic heads. Cut the papery top off each head of garlic to reveal the cloves inside and place each head on a piece of foil.
- Drizzle each head of garlic with 1 tbsp of olive oil, then wrap the foil around to form packets, put on baking paper on a baking dish and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool, then remove the cloves from their skins and discard the skins.
- Turn the oven up to 220C. Line a baking dish with baking paper, then aluminium foil. Brush 2 tbsp olive oil on the cut sides of eggplants and place cut side down on the foil and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from the oven and let cool, then scrape the flesh from them and place in a food processor, discarding the skin. Add garlic cloves, remaining olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garam masala. Process for 1 minute on medium setting. Store in the refrigerator and serve when cold.