A recipe for Polenta Chips with Sumac.
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 cup polenta
- 80g butter
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp sumac
- 2.5 cups vegetable oil
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- Add vegetable stock and milk to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to simmering, being careful to reduce heat as soon as it’s bubbling, or else the milk froth will boil over. Add the polenta, stir until combined, then add butter, parmesan, oregano, sumac and 1 tsp sea salt flakes, then continue to stir for 4 minutes, or until it has a thick porridge like consistency.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper, then spoon the polenta on top. Then, using a spatula, flatten the polenta in to a rectangle that is 2 times wider than you would like the chips length to be. Let the tray sit for 20 minutes to cool slightly, then cover with cling wrap and refridgerate for 2 hours up to overnight.
- Heat 2 cups of oil to 170°C or a medium heat. Meanwhile, shape the polenta chips by cutting them with a knife in to pieces with a length half the width of the rectangle polenta mix and a width of 2 – 3cm. Add half the chips to the oil and let cook for about 7 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally with a slotted metal spoon.
- Remove the cooked chips with the metal spoon and let excess oil drain by placing them on some paper towel. Fry the second batch of chips, by first adding the half cup of oil left to the frypan, let heat again and then fry the remaining uncooked chips in the hot oil for 7 about minutes. Let oil drain on paper towel once again.
- Transfer the chips to a serving dish and sprinkle remaining sea salt on top. You can optionally serve with extra sea salt, sumac and tomato sauce, to dip the chips in while eating! Just add each to seperate side bowls when serving.
Extra sumac, sea salt flakes and tomato sauce can be added seperately in bowls to accompany the polenta chips.
Allow 2 hours for refridgerating and 20 minutes for the polenta mix to cool slightly before refridgerating.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 751
Keywords: polenta chips with sumac