A recipe for mushroom cornbread breakfast.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup polenta
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 75g corn kernels or canned corn
- 50g mushroom cups, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 6 eggs
- 4 bacon rashers
- 4 tomatoes, halved
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a fry pan, then cook mushrooms over low heat, for 5 minutes or until browned, then set aside.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add polenta, 1/2 tsp salt, sugar, milk, 2 eggs, corn and mushrooms to the bowl and stir the mixture well. Line a baking dish with 1 tsp butter using paper towel, then line with baking paper and pour the mixture in evenly, put in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Heat remaining butter in a large fry pan, then over a medium-low heat fry the bacon rashers, tomatoes and 4 remaining eggs for 6 minutes, turning once. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove cornbread from oven and let sit for 5 minutes, then remove cornbread from baking dish and cut into thick slices. Serve with fried bacon, eggs and tomato.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 454
Keywords: mushroom cornebread, breakfast, bacon and eggs