Artichoke and Chicken Casserole
This artichoke and chicken casserole is a real comfort food and is filling with a rich sauce that will leave you wanting to come back for more.
It has an interesting taste that is not too heavy on chicken, with unique vegetables such as artichoke hearts and water chestnuts used.
Why is this casserole topped with breadcrumbs before baking?
The breadcrumbs with butter are added for the buttery flavour it gives and to aid in making the surface of the casserole crunchy when it comes out of the oven.
Can pasta be used instead of rice?
Yes, for example, noodles can be cooked according to packet instructions, then added to the artichoke and chicken casserole to make a pasta bake of sorts. Just add the noodles to the casserole before adding the breadcrumbs, mix, add breadcrumbs and bake.
What are artichoke hearts?
The jarred artichoke hearts used in this recipe are the edible inside of an artichoke, which is a thistle plant that blooms, that while immature has a meaty like artichoke heart inside that when cooked has a tenderness and is slightly sweet.
A recipe for artichoke and chicken casserole.
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 200g button mushrooms, halved
- 2 chicken breast halves, diced
- 80g artichokes hearts, cut in to 8 pieces
- 100g sliced water chestnuts
- 15g all purpose flour
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan, grated
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cups short grain rice
- 1/4 tsp parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Meanwhile, in a large fry pan, melt 2 tbsp butter on a medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring for 4 minutes. Add chicken and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until chicken is sealed. Turn the heat off and add the artichokes hearts and water chestnuts, mix, then transfer to a large baking dish.
- Heat the fry pan again with 1 tbsp of butter over low heat, then sift flour in, stirring with the butter for 30 seconds or until combined. Turn the heat up to medium and gradually add chicken stock while stirring for 5 minutes or until all the stock is mixed in. Add cream and Parmesan cheese and stir for 30 seconds, then pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Over a low heat, add the last 2 tablespoons of butter to a frypan and when melted, add breadcrumbs, stir for 30 seconds, then pour the breadcrumbs on top of the chicken casserole and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Cook the 2 cups of rice as per packet instructions. Serve casserole with rice and parsley leaves sprinkled on top.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 505
Keywords: chicken casserole, chestnuts, artichokes, artichoke hearts