Artichoke and Chicken Casserole
Servings: 4 | Prep time: 12 mins | Cook time: 49 mins | Total: 1 hour and 1 min
A recipe for artichoke and chicken casserole for 4 people that has as much as a whole chicken breast, but a tasty and rich sauce and vegetables like artichokes provide for a dish with a taste not too heavy on chicken.
- 2 chicken breast halves, diced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 200g jarred artichokes, drained
- 100g sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 100g button mushrooms, halved
- 15g all purpose flour
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan, grated
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Meanwhile, in a fry pan, melt 2 tbsp butter on a medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until chicken is lightly brown.
- Remove fry pan from heat and add the artichokes and chestnuts, mix then transfer to a large baking dish.
- Heat the fry pan with 1 tbsp of butter again over low heat, then add flour and stir for 30 seconds or until well combined. Turn the heat up to medium and gradually add chicken stock over 4 minutes until stock thickens, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in cream and cheese.
- When the cheese melts, pour flour, stock, cream and cheese mixture over the chicken.
- Add butter in another fry pan on low heat, then when melted remove from heat and add breadcrumbs and mix until combined. Pour over the chicken mixture then put into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, then serve.