Beef Shepherd’s Pie
A recipe for my take of a classic, shepherd’s pie, which has been around since the 18th century. Fortunately it still remains. It was originally usually cooked with lamb or other leftovers.
The reason for it’s popularity could be partly because mince meat and mashed potatoes go great together.
It’s also a healthy dish, with many different vegetables added and is also relatively cheap to make.
In this beef shepherd’s pie, the mashed potato and beef mince with vegetables are cooked seperately before being combined in a baking pie dish.
After being cooked seperately, first make a layer on the bottom of a pie dish with the mince and vegetables, then make a layer with the mashed potato and finally top with mozzarella cheese.
To complete this take of shepherd’s pie, put in the oven for 20 minutes.
A recipe for beef shepherd’s pie.
- 3 tsp sea salt
- 900g white potatoes, diced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 500g beef mince
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 200g mushroom cups, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat an oven to 215°C. Meanwhile, to make the mashed potato, boil a large saucepan of water with 1 tsp sea salt. Add potatoes to the saucepan and boil for 15 minutes or until potatoes feel soft when pierced with a fork. Turn off the heat, drain potatoes and return them to the saucepan. Add butter, cream and an additional 1 tsp of sea salt, then mash with a potato masher or fork, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frypan over a medium-low heat on a stove with oil, then add mince, carrot, onion, celery and garlic. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms, peas and remaining sea salt to the frypan and cook for 6 minutes or until mince is browned, stirring occasionally. Turn heat off, then add Worcestershire sauce and mix.
- Break up any chunks of beef, then transfer the beef and vegetables to a large casserole dish, in a layer. Make a layer on top of the beef with the mashed potato, then top with mozzarella cheese and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown, then serve.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 647
Keywords: shepherd’s pie, worcestershire sauce