A recipe for Part 1 of a Vegetarian “Rainbow” Veggie Stack.
- ¼ butternut pumpkin
- 2 large parsnips
- 3 carrots
- 1 large sweet potatoes
- 1 broccolini bunch
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 50g butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 600ml milk
- 1 tsp vegetable stock
- ½ tsp salt
- 9 Swiss cheese slices
- ¾ cup shredded 3 cheese blend
- Heat an oven to 210°C. Meanwhile, with a knife, cut the skin off the butternut pumpkin and using a peeler, peel the skin off the parsnip, carrot and sweet potato. Cut any stem off the pumpkin and the ends off the parsnip and carrot and discard.
- Slice the butternut pumpkin, parsnip, carrot and sweet potato into thin slices and try to slice broccolini in half longways using a knife. Using your hands, smother the vegetables in the oil in a large plastic bowl until covered in the oil.
- Spread the carrot and parsnip out on a shallow baking tray and the rest of the veggies on another tray and bake for an hour. Check the vegetables and if they are not all browning and fully cooked, particularly the carrots and parsnips, remove the vegetables that have fully cooked and bake the uncooked vegetables for up to a further 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the bechamel sauce, in a saucepan on a stove, melt the butter over a medium heat, then add flour and mix for about 90 seconds or until the mixture starts to bubble. Gradually stir in the milk, adding about a quarter of a cup at a time until all the milk is used and the mixture is consistent, then add vegetable stock and salt and cook, stirring, for a further 2 minutes. Set bechamel sauce aside.
- Remove the trays from the oven and turn the heat up to 250°C. Line a deep 20cm roasting pan with baking paper and make a layer of a vegetable, then a layer of bechamel sauce and continue making the layers using the vegetables and bechamel sauce until the pan is half full. Add a layer of the Swiss cheese slices to the pan, then with the rest of the veggies and bechamel sauce continue making layers. Top with shredded 3 cheese blend and bake for 20 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 530
Keywords: rainbow stack, vegetarian rainbow stack, veggie stack