A recipe for Part 2 of a Vegetarian “Rainbow” Veggie Stack.
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 capsicums
- 2 eggplants
- 2 beetroots
- 6 white potatoes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 50g butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 600ml milk
- 1 tsp vegetable stock
- ½ tsp salt
- 9 Swiss cheese slices
- ¾ cup shredded 3 cheese blend
- Heat an oven to 210°C. Meanwhile, cut off the end of the zucchinis, capsicums, eggplants and ends off the beetroots, discarding the ends, then with a peeler, peel the skin off the potatoes and beetroots, discarding the peel.
- With a knife, slice the zucchini and eggplant into slices about 1cm thick. Cut the capsicums into 3 pieces, trying to make them sit flat. Try to slice the potato and beetroot into 5mm thick slices or use a slicer.
- In a large plastic bowl, add oil and with your hands smother all the sliced vegetables with oil, trying to mostly cover them.
- Spread the vegetables out on 2 large, shallow baking trays. On one tray, add beetroot and potato slices and on the other tray add zucchini, capsicum and eggplant slices, sitting them more vertical and partially overlapping each other if not enough room. Put both trays in the oven and roast for 30 minutes or until the tray with zucchinis, capsicums and eggplants start to become brown, then remove that tray from the oven and continue roasting the other tray for an additional 20 minutes, or until potato and beetroot starts to become browned.
- Meanwhile, to make the bechamel sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan on a stove over a medium heat, then sift flour in, add salt and vegetable stock and mix until combined, then gradually stir in the milk, adding about a quarter of a cup at a time until all the milk is used and the mixture is consistent. Set bechamel sauce aside.
- Turn the heat up to 250°C, then line 2 narrow deep roasting pans or a deep 20cm square roasting pan with baking paper. Make layers of vegetables, with a layer of bechamel sauce inbetween the layers of vegetables, continuing with the layers of vegetables and bechamel sauce until the pan is half full, then add Swiss cheese slices, then continue with layers of vegetables and bechamel sauce. When the vegetables have all been used, top with three cheese blend and roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove, let cool for 10 minutes, then slice the veggie stack and serve.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 829
Keywords: vegetarian, rainbow, vegetable stack, twice baked