Whole Chicken Casserole
Servings: 6 | Prep time: 32 mins | Cook time: 1 hour and 38 mins | Total: 2 hours and 10 mins
A recipe for whole chicken casserole including a whole chicken that is cut up into 8 pieces before cooking and then slow cooked in a cast iron pot on a stove along with bacon, mushrooms and vegetables.
- 1 whole chicken
- 30g flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 50g butter
- 120g bacon, coarsely chopped
- 6 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stick, coarsely chopped
- 4 potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 600ml chicken stock
- Cut the whole chicken into 8 individual pieces by cutting off the legs, thighs, wings and finally the breast into 2 pieces. For a complete guide on cutting up a raw chicken, see here.
- Cover chicken pieces in flour, then salt and pepper. In a large fry pan, heat butter on a stove over medium heat, add bacon and cook for 1 minute, stirring often, then add chicken and cook for 4 minutes, turning occasionally, or until chicken is golden brown and bacon crisp.
- Transfer bacon and chicken to a cast iron pot, add shallots, mushrooms, carrots, celery, potato and stock and then bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Serve.