Servings: 10 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 42 mins | Total: 52 mins
This delicious recipe for crispy and soft cauliflower fritters is made by steaming cauliflower until partially cooked, then finish cooking it by frying it in batter. The fritters in this recipe make an appetizer for 10 people, as a whole cauliflower is used.
- 1 whole cauliflower
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 110g plain flour
- 3 tsp butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200ml vegetable oil
- Divide cauliflower up into smaller florets and cook in a steamer over a saucepan of boiling water on a stove for 8 minutes or until they just start to become soft.
- Transfer cauliflower to a plate, drizzle over with extra virgin olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, then let cool down.
- Meanwhile, to make the batter, sift together flour and remaining sea salt, then add butter and 100ml warm water and mix constantly until smooth. Batter should have a consistency similar to pancake batter or thickened cream, but if it’s too thick, continue adding more water and if it’s too thin stir in more sifted flour. Stir in baking powder.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small fry pan over a medium heat on a stove. In batches of 3 or 4 times, cover the the cauliflower florets completely in the batter, then fry them in oil for 7 minutes, turning once, or until they’re golden brown. Transfer fritters to a wire rack or plate with paper towel on it as you go to soak up excess oil. Serve.