Fried Chicken Strips with Tartare Sauce
March 19, 2019
(Updated January 27th, 2021)
A recipe for fried chicken strips with a delicious homemade tartare sauce.
The chicken thigh is cut into strips and then seasoned, then covered with flour, then beaten eggs, then breadcrumbs and then deep fried in a frypan.
Tartare sauce often goes with the classic fish and chips, but in this recipe, the tartare sauce goes great with the fried chicken strips.
Once you have the ingredients for the tartare sauce, it’s fairly easy to make.
To make the tartare sauce, simply finely chop the gherkins, stuffed green olives, garlic, chive and parsley and finely grate the lemon rind all in to a bowl, add the mayonnaise and yoghurt and then mix.
The fried chicken strips are seasoned with Italian herbs and salt and pepper, so the chicken strips taste great even without the tartare sauce, but even better with.
A recipe for fried chicken strips with tartare sauce.
- 500g chicken thigh, with skin on
- 2 tbsp Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 2 gherkins, finely chopped
- 5 stuffed green olives, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chive, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Rind of 1/3 lemon
- Cut the chicken thigh into 2cm wide strips, then season with Italian herbs and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread flour out on a plate, then in a bowl, beat the eggs, then spread breadcrumbs on a seperate plate. Cover the chicken strips in flour, followed by then egg and then breadcrumbs.
- In a medium sized fry pan, heat oil to 190°C or medium high heat, then fry chicken strips in 2 batches for 6 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Put cooked chicken strips down on paper towel, to soak up excess oil.
- Make the tartare sauce, by putting mayonnaise, yoghurt, gherkin, green olives, garlic, chive, parsley and lemon rind in a bowl and mix. Serve chicken strips with tartare sauce on the side.
Chicken thigh without skin can also be used.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 228
Keywords: fried chicken strips, fried chicken, chicken strips, tartare sauce, homemade tartare sauce