Vegan Garlic Mushrooms with Toast
A delicious appetizer for vegan garlic mushrooms, with toast, optionally.
In this appetizer for 4 people, 3 mushroom varieties are used, which are 200g of button mushrooms, 200g of oyster mushrooms, as well as 300g of Portabello mushrooms. If you would like you can swap for 700g of any different variety of mushrooms.
The mushrooms will shrink down and brown from cooking and have a strong earthy taste.
A fun fact about button and Portabello mushrooms are that they are from same mushroom family, just at different stages of maturity. Button being younger and Portabello being older.
To make the garlic mushrooms, 6 garlic cloves are used, with 4 of them cooked at the start in the frypan and the other 2 cloves added for the last minute of cooking.
Start by preparing the mushrooms by halving the button mushrooms, trimming and disposing the rubbery ends off the oyster mushrooms and slicing the Portabello mushrooms.
Lemon juice is then sprinkled on the cut mushrooms and the mushrooms are then cooked in a frypan for 6 minutes with 4 garlic cloves, chilli and salt and pepper to taste.
Soy sauce and wine are added and the mushrooms are cooked for a further 2 minutes, then the remaining garlic is added as well as the parsley and cooked for 1 minute, then served with lemon zest on top and toast.
An appetizer for vegan garlic mushrooms, with toast, optionally.
- 200g button mushrooms, halved
- 200g oyster mushrooms, with 2cm trimmed
- 300g portabello mushrooms, sliced
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 5 grams parsley, chopped
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- 2 slices of toasted bread, optionally
- Put all the cut mushrooms on a baking tray or in a large bowl and sprinkle the lemon juice over them and mix.
- In a large frypan heat the oil over a medium high heat. Crush 4 of the garlic cloves and add them to the frypan. Add chilli, mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste and cook for 6 minutes, stirring often.
- Add wine and soy sauce and cook for a further 2 minutes. Finely chop the remaining garlic and add it to the frypan with the parsley and cook, stirring for 1 minute, then serve with lemon zest on top and toasted bread on the side.
Other varieties of mushrooms that you prefer can be used instead in this recipe.
If you prefer hotter chillies, smaller hotter chillies can be used instead of a large red chilly.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 159
Keywords: vegan garlic mushrooms with toast, different variety garlic mushrooms