Gluten Free Tofu Doughnuts
This recipe for gluten free tofu doughnuts are different to traditional doughnuts, made with added silken tofu and coated in three icing dustings.
These dustings are icing sugar, icing sugar with matcha powder and icing sugar with cocoa powder. First the gluten free flour is sifted into a bowl.
Caster sugar and baking powder are added.
The silken tofu, which is similar to regular tofu being that it has similar ingredients, but is processed differently, adds a softness and light sweetness to the doughnuts.
The silken tofu should be squished in your hands and added to the bowl.
Slowly add 60ml of water while mixing with a ladle.
Heat oil in a small to medium sized frypan on a medium low heat.
Roll the mixture in to balls using two spoons and one batch at a time add to the oil. Cook the doughnuts in three batches for 8 minutes each batch.
After each batch place doughnuts on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
After deep frying, coat each batch of donuts in a dusting.
The first batch will be coated in icing sugar. This is done by placing the doughnuts in a small plastic bag with icing sugar and shaking well until they are covered.
The second batch are coated in icing sugar and matcha powder using the same method using a small plastic bag.
Lastly the third batch is coated in icing sugar and cocoa powder using the same bag method.
Just 7 ingredients in total are used in this recipe to make these doughnut varieties for 6 – 8 people to enjoy. Serve in a serving bowl with as many toothpicks as required.
A recipe for gluten free tofu doughnuts.
- 300g gluten free flour
- 300g silken tofu
- 110g caster sugar
- 10g baking powder
- 500ml vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- Sift the flour into a bowl, then add caster sugar and baking powder and mix.
- Squish the silken tofu with your hands into the bowl. Slowly add 60ml of water to the bowl while stirring with a ladle until gluey and consistent.
- Heat oil in a small to medium sized frypan over a medium-low heat, then roll the mixture into balls using two spoons and add them in three batches to the oil. Cook each batch of doughnuts for about 8 minutes, stirring often. Let doughnuts cool on paper towel after each batch is finished.
- For the icing sugar doughnuts, place the doughnuts in a small plastic bag and add 2 tsp icing sugar, then shake until covered.
- For matcha flavour doughnuts, add the second batch of doughnuts to a small plastic bag and add 1 tsp icing sugar and matcha powder and shake until covered.
- Finally for cocoa flavoured doughnuts, add the third batch of doughnuts to a small plastic bag and add 1 tsp icing sugar and cocoa powder and shake until covered.
- Serve doughnuts in a serving bowl, with as many toothpicks as required, optionally.
Toothpicks can be used when serving doughnuts.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 165
Keywords: tofu doughnuts, tofu donuts, gluten free, silken tofu doughnuts