Chashu Pork with Bok Choy and Rice
A recipe for Chashu, Japanese braised pork belly, served with bok choy and rice and a delicious sauce.
The sauce that goes with it, is first used as a marinate for the pork belly and then actually used a second time as the sauce.
After marinating the pork belly for 4 hours to overnight, the marinate is put aside and later prepared by boiling it in a saucepan.
The trick to using the sauce a second time, is boiling it for 15 minutes to destroy any harmful bacteria and getting rid of the froth that develops as it boils by skimming it with a spoon.
The pork belly is cooked in the oven for 40 minutes and when ready, the meat is tender and the result is a juicy and delicious dish.
Chashu Pork can be used in many other dishes as well, such as the following:
Chashu Fried Rice Using Leftovers
Spring Onion Oil Noodles
A recipe for chashu pork with bok choy and rice.
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 100g brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine also known as sake
- 800 grams pork belly skin off
- 2 cups medium grain rice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 bok choy
- Marinate the pork belly, by adding soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger paste, garlic paste, oyster sauce and rice wine in a large container and mixing, then put the pork in, try to cover it in most of the liquid, cover the container and leave it in the fridge for 4 hours to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 215°C. Line a baking pan with baking paper, then transfer the pork from the container to the baking pan, keeping the liquid put aside. Put the pork in the oven and bake for 30 – 40 mins.
- Meanwhile, cook 2 cups of rice as per packet instructions. Make the sauce by putting the marinate liquid put aside in a saucepan, putting it on the stove and bringing it to the boil, then simmering it, while occasionally stirring it and skimming the foam off the top. Let simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce starts to get sticky.
- Seperate the leaves from the bok choy and clean under running water. Shake as much water off the bok choy as possible to dry it, then heat oil in a wok over medium high heat, add bok choy and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add 4 tablespoons of water and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring often. Serve pork belly with bok choy, rice and sauce.
Allow 4 hours for the pork belly to marinate.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 1460
Keywords: chashu pork, bok choy