Spring Onion Oil Noodles
A recipe for delicious and aromatic spring onion oil noodles, served with Chashu pork and boiled egg, optionally.
For a guide on how to make Chashu pork, see here.
The spring onion oil is made by infusing the spring onion into the oil by cooking it in the oil in a wok for 40 – 45 minutes.
Spring onion is also known as scallions or green onion. The spring onion is first cut into approximately 5cm long pieces, then cleaned under running water and pat dry with paper towel.
The white pieces of spring onion are cut in half vertically and cooked for 10 minutes in the oil prior to the rest of the spring onion being cooked.
They are cooked first to avoid overcooking parts of the spring onion.
During cooking, the spring onion will slowly turn brown.
When brown, finish making the spring onion oil, by adding soy sauce and sugar and mix, before turning the heat off the wok.
A whole spring onion bunch, or 8 spring onions are used, so there with be enough oil and browned spring onion to store some in a jar in the fridge after this meal to use when you make this recipe again.
We used dry thin egg noodles when making this recipe, but any noodles can be used.
After cooking the noodles according to packet directions, divide them into serving bowls and add 2 tablespoons of spring onion oil to each bowl and stir, then top with a small bunch of browned spring onion.
Serve noodles with spring onion oil and with Chashu pork and egg on the side, optionally.
A recipe for spring onion oil noodles.
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 8 spring onions
- 375g thin dry egg noodles or any other noodles
- 100ml soy sauce
- 23g or 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 400g Chashu pork
- 4 eggs
- Trim the roots off the spring onions, then wash spring onions and cut them into approximately 5cm long pieces. Cut the white pieces in half vertically, then pat spring onion pieces dry with paper towel.
- Heat oil in a wok over a medium low heat, then add the white parts of the spring onion and cook for 5 – 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat down to low, add the rest of the pieces of spring onion and cook for 35 – 40 minutes or until the spring onion pieces are browned. Turn the heat off, add soy sauce and sugar and stir, then let the oil cool down.
- Cook noodles according to packet instructions, then drain and divide into 4 bowls. Add 2 tablespoons of spring onion oil to each bowl and mix. Top the noodles with a small amount of browned spring onion.
- To add Chashu pork and eggs, optionally, first make a half portion of Chashu pork following this recipe. To boil the eggs, boil water in a saucepan, add eggs and boil for 3 minutes, then turn the heat off and leave eggs in the water for 7 minutes, then remove. Divide Chashu pork and boiled eggs between each of the bowls. Put the rest of the spring onion oil and browned spring onion in a jar and store in the fridge until making the recipe again. Serve.
Serving with Chashu pork and egg is optional.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 1080
Keywords: spring onion oil. spring onion oil noodles with Chashu pork and boiled eggs