Seafood, Chicken and Chorizo Paella
A recipe for my take on a Spanish dish, paella. This paella has chicken, chorizo and seafood, including squid and prawns.
Thanks to Pure Saffron Farms, who were kind enough to send me some high quality saffron including their capsules with 0.1g of saffron in them, one of which we used in this recipe.
The capsules are portioned for 4 – 6 servings that Pure Saffron Farms sell on their website. Using this capsule of saffron made it easy to add the accurate amount needed and the saffron added a delicious flavour to this dish for 6 people.
First prepare the squid by making squid rings by simply slicing the squid tube into rings.
The chicken stock should be poured into a jug and when at room temperature, the saffron added to the stock and left for 30 minutes to an hour before using later.
You may notice the burnt looking paella pan. This is on purpose however! The pan arrived clean and unburnt when we received it in the mail, and we followed the instructions that came with it that involved boiling water in it and afterwards heating oil in the pan, giving it a burnt look.
First the salt and olive oil are added on a medium high heat.
The squid rings should be cooked for 2 minutes, before being removed and added to the paella pan again later in the recipe.
The heat should be turned down to a medium heat and chicken added and cooked until well browned.
Next the onion and chorizo are added.
When making paella, an aim is for the rice to achieve a caramelised crust on the bottom of the pan. It is such a desired finish when making paella that the caramelised crust achieved is known as the socarrat.
When making the socarrat, it helps to minimise stirring the paella pan while the rice is cooking, especially towards the end of the recipe, so as not to disturb the cooking process.
The garlic and tomato is added. They are added late at this stage to avoid burning.
Add the stock with saffron, paprika, bring to the boil, then add rice.
Turn the heat down to low and add the yellow and red peppers.
The pan is left to cook for 10 minutes now.
Next the prawns are added, squid is returned to the pan, then add the peas and rosemary.
The paella should be covered in aluminium foil and cooked on a medium low heat for an additional 5 – 10 minutes.
Turn the heat off and let sit for 5 minutes.
Remove foil and serve with lemon.
A recipe for a seafood, chicken and chorizo paella
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 squid tube, cut into thin rings
- 500g boneless chicken thigh
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 chorizo, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 cups calasparra rice
- 1/2 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 12 prawns with tail on
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Prepare the saffron by pouring chicken stock that has been sitting at room temperature in a jug and adding a pinch of saffron, then set aside for half an hour to an hour for later use.
- Meanwhile, heat a paella pan or a large frypan on a stove over a medium high heat, then add salt towards the outside of the paella pan, then add olive oil.
- Add squid rings to the pan and cook for 2 minutes, strirring often, then remove and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to a medium heat and add chicken thigh to the pan and cook until well browned, or 8 minutes, turning occasionally. Add onion and chorizo and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and tomato and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add stock with saffron, paprika, bring to the boil and add rice.
- Turn the heat down to low and add red and yellow peppers and cook for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Turn the heat up to medium low, then add prawns, return squid rings to the pan and add peas, rosemary, cover the pan with foil and cook for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Turn heat off and let sit for an additional 5 minutes. Remove foil and serve with wedges of lemon.
We use a paella pan and calasparra rice (calasparra or bomba preffered) bought online, otherwise arborio rice can be used. Long grain or basmatti rice are not recommended for this dish.
Chicken thigh with bone in can be used.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 610
Keywords: paella, chorizo, seafood, chicken, squid, prawns, mixed paella, saffron