A recipe for a seafood, chicken and chorizo paella
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 squid tube, cut into thin rings
- 500g boneless chicken thigh
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 chorizo, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 cups calasparra rice
- 1/2 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 12 prawns with tail on
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Prepare the saffron by pouring chicken stock that has been sitting at room temperature in a jug and adding a pinch of saffron, then set aside for half an hour to an hour for later use.
- Meanwhile, heat a paella pan or a large frypan on a stove over high heat, then add salt towards the outside of the paella pan, then add olive oil.
- Turn heat down to medium, then add squid rings to the pan and cook for 2 minutes, strirring often, then remove and set aside.
- Turn heat up to high and add chicken thigh to the pan and cook until well browned, or 8 minutes, turning occasionally. Add onion and chorizo and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and tomato and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add stock with saffron, paprika, bring to the boil and add rice.
- Add red and yellow peppers, cook for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add prawns, return squid rings to the pan and add peas, rosemary, cover the pan with foil, reduce heat to low heat and cook for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Turn heat off and let sit for an additional 5 minutes. Remove foil and serve with wedges of lemon.
We use a paella pan and calasparra rice (calasparra or bomba preffered) bought online, otherwise arborio rice can be used. Long grain or basmatti rice are not recommended for this dish.
Chicken thigh with bone in can be used.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 610
Keywords: paella, chorizo, seafood, chicken, squid, prawns, mixed paella, saffron