Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks
A recipe for slow cooked lamb shanks, served with quinoa and rice and a kale and spinach salad.
I have been fond of lamb shanks since my childhood and would occasionally have them growing up.
The lamb shanks are first sealed in a cast iron pot.
To do this, add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, onion and garlic to the pot and heat on a medium heat for 2 minutes.
Add the spices cumin, turmeric and ground cinnamon.
Cook the lamb shanks for 3 – 4 minutes in the cast iron pot, stirring often to finish sealing them.
3/4 tsp of salt is added, season with pepper and add the sugar.
Add the canned tomatoes.
Add halved tomatoes, bay leaves, rosemary and balsamic vinegar and stir to mix.
Add enough water to almost cover the lamb shanks, then turn heat down to low, put the lid on and let cook for 2 hours, stirring about every 25 minutes.
Prepare the quinoa and rice by first rinsing the rice in water. Doing this cleans and removes a lot of the starch coating the rice.
Add quinoa to the saucepan of drained rice, then add 1 and 3/4 cups of water to the quinoa and cleaned rice in the saucepan.
Bring to the boil, stir, turn heat down to low, put the lid on and cook for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, for the salad, add spinach and kale to a medium sized bowl, add remaining 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and 1/4 tsp of sea salt to the bowl.
Mix to finish the salad.
After slow cooking for 2 hours these lamb shanks will be tender and full of flavour with the added spices and herbs. Serve by dividing up lamb shanks with sauce, rice and quinoa and salad on to plates.
A recipe for Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 lamb shanks
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 3 tomatoes, halved
- 1 can (400g) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1.5 cups spinach
- 1.5 cups kale, chopped
- In a cast iron pot, heat 2 tbsps of oil on a medium heat and add the onion and garlic and stir for 2 minutes. Add the cumin, turmeric and ground cinnamon and mix, then add the lamb shanks and turn in the frypan for 3 – 4 minutes or until they are sealed on the outside.
- Add 1 and 3/4 tsp sea salt, pepper, sugar, bay leaves, rosemary, tomatoes, can of crushed tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and stir. Add enough water to almost cover the lamb shanks, turn heat down to low, put the lid on and cook for 2 hours, stirring about every 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the rice, to first clean it, put it in a saucepan and cover with water and swirl the rice around the saucepan and press it into the bottom of the saucepan with your fingers until the water loses it’s transparency. Drain the water out and add clean water, repeating this step 2 more times or until the water runs clean.
- To cook the rice and quinoa, first put rice in a saucepan and add quinoa and 1 and 3/4 cups of water to the rice and heat over a high heat until the water is boiling. Give the rice and quinoa a stir, turn the heat down to low, put the lid on and cook for 15 minutes. If there is any water remaining on top of the rice after 15 minutes, it needs to be briefly cooked more, so turn the heat up for 30 seconds to a minute. Turn heat off and let the rice and quinoa sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile for salad, add remaining 1 tbsp of oil to a medium sized bowl, add 1/4 tsp of sea salt and mix, then add spinach and kale to the bowl and mix. Serve by dividing up lamb shanks with sauce, rice and quinoa and salad on to each plate.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 1052
Keywords: slow cooked lamb shanks, tender lamb, quinoa and rice, spinach and kale salad