A recipe for Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 lamb shanks
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 3 tomatoes, halved
- 1 can (400g) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1.5 cups spinach
- 1.5 cups kale, chopped
- In a cast iron pot, heat 2 tbsps of oil on a medium heat and add the onion and garlic and stir for 2 minutes. Add the cumin, turmeric and ground cinnamon and mix, then add the lamb shanks and turn in the frypan for 3 – 4 minutes or until they are sealed on the outside.
- Add 1 and 3/4 tsp sea salt, pepper, sugar, bay leaves, rosemary, tomatoes, can of crushed tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and stir. Add enough water to almost cover the lamb shanks, turn heat down to low, put the lid on and cook for 2 hours, stirring about every 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the rice, to first clean it, put it in a saucepan and cover with water and swirl the rice around the saucepan and press it into the bottom of the saucepan with your fingers until the water loses it’s transparency. Drain the water out and add clean water, repeating this step 2 more times or until the water runs clean.
- To cook the rice and quinoa, first put rice in a saucepan and add quinoa and 1 and 3/4 cups of water to the rice and heat over a high heat until the water is boiling. Give the rice and quinoa a stir, turn the heat down to low, put the lid on and cook for 15 minutes. If there is any water remaining on top of the rice after 15 minutes, it needs to be briefly cooked more, so turn the heat up for 30 seconds to a minute. Turn heat off and let the rice and quinoa sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile for salad, add remaining 1 tbsp of oil to a medium sized bowl, add 1/4 tsp of sea salt and mix, then add spinach and kale to the bowl and mix. Serve by dividing up lamb shanks with sauce, rice and quinoa and salad on to each plate.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 1052
Keywords: slow cooked lamb shanks, tender lamb, quinoa and rice, spinach and kale salad